Thursday, October 3, 2013

DAY 9 Summary

I think one of the key things with a ride like this, at least for me, is to take one day at a time....while it may be ok to reflect on a prior day its best not to look ahead....that all went to shit today because of the govt shutdown....not only was a section of today affected but there is knowing in the coming days places along the Blue Ridge are closed and Shenandoah Natl. Park is closed....

about today....after my first good nights sleep in a few days I was feeling pretty good....once again very scenic country side....rolling hills until the first big climb of the day on the Foothills Parkway....as I made the turn to enter the road had a gate across it and a sign saying "closed due to govt. shut down"....I didn't know this was federal property and was surprised....with the other option adding so many more miles I lifted my bike over the gate and road the 18 mile Parkway....great climb and views....another 25 miles later I was going to enter Smoky Mt Natl. Park and rangers were there blocking the entrance....there was another cyclist there too....at this point I had 17 miles left for the day with 105 covered....I had 2 choices....ride back 10 miles and then plus another 25 miles to get to Gatlinburg or accept the offer of a ride from the other cyclist (Lou)....so I rode 20 miles with Lou to his car and he drove me the extra miles to my motel....I am processing this and for now am a bit crushed with the thought that I quit on myself for accepting a ride....and overwhelmed by the kindness of a stranger....

I rescued 2 turtles crossing the road....maybe they would have been ok but at least gave them a helping hand to the side of the road....

it appears that hwy 441 through Smoky Mt Natl. Park to the Blue Ridge is open....Climgmans Dome road is unknown but I think it will be closed....beyond that things are unclear....

I truly realize that people are being affect in ways more important then a bike ride ....my sister who I am riding to see is furloughed....on the news, which I haven't watched much lately, it appears the govt. is trying to force private businesses on federal property to close too....

DAY 9 miles 121. Total miles 1234

No comments:

Post a Comment