Saturday, October 5, 2013

DAY 10 Summary

when I planned this ride this day stood out....the amount of climbing and knowing the time it take sounded the alarm bells....it was difficult to ignore in the previous day but you just cannot get ahead of yourself....

first up was the 15 mile climb to Newfound Gap in Smoky Mt Natl. Park....the park was chilly and very damp....the sun barely peeks through but at the top it was nice....the road to Clingmans Dome was closed and rangers were there....so with the threat of arrest again if I disregarded the closure I headed down to Cherokee for breakfast....on the way down I got chilled really bad....not good as I shivered as I ate....it was now 3 1/2hrs into the day with only 34 miles covered....then it was off to start the 88 miles of Blue Ridge Parkway for the day (mile post 470)and around 20 tunnels...this first 60 miles of the BRP are the most rugged going south and tougher going north....by 3pm I had covered only 40 miles....but what kept me in the game was knowing around mile 420 there would be more down hill then up....all facilities were closed and I was desperately  low on water....so at the highest point sign there were 4 couples on motorcycles and another two with cars and I begged....and received a full load....and for some reason after asking about my ride they all wanted their pictures taken with me....I am a rock star...LOL....Stayed longer then I wanted as "day light was burning"....yes indeed lots of down hill at arrived at the motel around 7pm....but only after riding past the exit for a mile until Sandy rescued me with a phone call to let me know....such is the state of mental fatigue at the end of the day....

time to go philosophical again.....yesterday I battled "self doubt" the first 30 miles of so of the BRP....I was hurting....and knew the pace was so slow....I envisioned a finish, if I could do it, to be well after dark....thoughts were of injury, just blowing and pedaling no more, hitch hiking or begging for a ride....this was the most difficult day I have ever had on the bike in my life....never doubt yourself....you can persevere more then you imagine is possible....

past time to mention the kindness of people....from the waitress who poured coffee for me as I walked in the Waffle House in the rain in Tupelo, Bert, who made a u turn to come help when I was stopped and lost outside of Murfreesboro, Lou driving me to my motel and of course the water yesterday....people are gracious and kind....generous, caring and giving....to bad all we seem to hear about is examples of when the few are not....

DAY 10 miles 125 Total miles 1359

No comments:

Post a Comment